We read a recipe for Parmesan Popovers in a recent issue of People Magazine which was written by Bridget Moynahan. We decided to make the recipe and it turned out very well. We are re-publishing it here with just a couple small changes.
2 Tablespoons of butter to grease the muffin tin.
2 Large eggs at room temperature.
1 Cup of Half-n-Half.
1 Cup of all purpose or bread flour.
1/2 teaspoon of salt.
1 Tablespoon of finely grated Parmesan Cheese
Putting it all together:
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2) Grease a muffin pan for 12 muffins with the butter.
3) In a medium bowl combine the eggs and half-n-half and uniformly mix.
4) In a large bowl mix flour, salt, and grated parmesan cheese.
5) Pour in the egg mixture and beat until only tiny lumps remain.
6) Preheat the muffin pan in the oven for about 2 minutes.
7) Right before you take the pan out of the oven, whisk or beat the batter again.
8) Fill each cup in the muffin pan just a little less than half way.
9) Bake for 25 minutes without opening the oven!!
There are a multitude of ways to eat a popover, warm with butter, or butter and jam, or filled with a strawberry & whipped cream; the list goes on!! I ate mine with butter and strawberry jam and it was luscious!!
If you forgot to take your eggs out of the refrigerator to bring them up to room temperature, we put them in a bowl of hot tap water while we are preparing the recipe and they warm up significantly in about 10 minutes.
Makes: about 12 popovers
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes